Saturday, March 13, 2010

Birth Story, part 4 - happiest ending ever




This is the final part of Owen's birth story. Thank you for reading! Scroll down to begin reading in order, working your way up from Part 1 - Part 4.


Our precious son was suctioned, cried a tiny bit, and was handed immediately to me, with a blanket around him, and we snuggled skin to skin for about an hour. I cannot describe the absolute joy and satisfaction of holding him, knowing exactly what had happened for every one of his first moments. I was tired, but clear-headed, without one minute of vomiting (hooray!) or a drop of pain medication. I was so aware of, and thankful for, God's absolute gift of this baby and his birth. It was a dream come true, and many prayers answered. Even getting to hold and nurse him for a long time before he was bathed and evaluated was really special. When they did take him to bathe and weigh, I could see he was really chunky. I had no idea though, when the nurse exclaimed and James and others watching, shocked me with his size. That sweet boy weighed 10 pounds, 8 ounces, and was over 22 inches long! I just laughed and laughed, and felt even more happiness that we had such an uneventful delivery, with such a big baby. It also confirmed to me that what I'd said for months was probably true, and that the due date the doctor had given me probably wasn't right. I thought I was two weeks farther along the entire pregnancy than they did, and his size pretty much confirms that to me!

Rachel's version of Owen's story: http://rachelgarcia77.blogspot.com/2010/02/birth-story-jennifer-and-james-vbac.html

A few folks to thank -

I'm beyond grateful to God for the blessing of our surprise son. Not planned or even prayed for, this baby boy has brought us joy during a tough year of loss, and will be unique for that and many other reasons. Thank you, Father! My dear husband and best friend, James, was an encouragement and steadfast support throughout this pregnancy and delivery. From the moment I cried and told him we were expecting again, till the moment we held Owen for the first time, he never wavered in loving me and being a godly, faithful partner. Rachel became a sweet friend and loyal support in ways I will never take for granted, and I highly recommend her as a doula! Alli photographed the pregnancy and labor with such taste and creativity that I will treasure always. My sweet Mama cared for me by emailing words of encouragement for nine long months, physically served me through the labor, and has shared our story with pride and honor to God that just brings me to tears. Joy and Amy have been examples of moms who had babies naturally and in the toughest moments of labor, their faces continually came to mind as reminders of God's goodness and strength. Rebecca was the first friend to know we were expecting, and she prayed for us and cheered me on with the loyalty of a true sister. Autumn, your consistent love for my kiddos and your presence when they needed their "aunt" to love on them continues to bless me and I'm so grateful for you. Ronda, Amy, Sandi, Tanya, and Cynthia - my sweet Bible study girls knew and prayed early on when the situation looked bleak. Thank you for your hope and faith, when mine was not so strong. Mindy, Andrea, Jamie, Holly, Robin, and Elizabeth, you've been so faithful to check in on me and rejoice with us throughout this time. Others in our faith family continually reminded me they were praying for us. Friends who have struggled with infertility were especially generous with their words and actions, which touched me deeply. My heart just overflows with so many gifts of friendship and love from you all. Thank you. I love you dearly!

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, all that comes to mind is "Praise God!" I read your whole story mostly because I like you, but also because NCB is such a lost art and I loved doing it. I can totally relate to "being in the zone" mentally during transition. Completely a spiritual experience for me all three times. As Doug finished his goal of running a marathon recently, I couldn't help but giggle and remind him that I'd already run three (of a different kind) ;) and maybe that's why I didn't have any intent on running one like that. Many blessings to you ... and your family. Thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete

Followers